* Korean Veterans:One of the projects associated with the Commemoration of the 60th Anniversary of the Korean War is to send letters of appreciation from the President of the Republic of Korea to as many living Korean War Veterans as possible to express tribute and profound gratitude for their service and sacrifice.
Click Here for more details about this project and for a form that can be downloaded if you wish to receive the letter
* TRICARE SCAM: Recently, an active duty member in the South region received a call from someone identifying them self as a TRICARE survey taker, and asked for the servicemembers social security number. When the member informed the caller that TRICARE should have that information, the caller quickly hung up.
If anyone receives a call stating they have received such a call, please understand that TRICARE survey takers DO NOT ask for personal information, they always safeguard personal information.
For more information on safeguarding your personal information, check out the Tricare Web site: TRICARE Protecting Personal Information Webpage at
(2 MDSS/SGST 9/21/10) * 2010 Federal Income Tax Withholding Increases: If you noticed a reduction in your net pay on a recent retirement paycheck, your taxes may have increased. The Internal Revenue Service recently issued new tax tables for 2010. The new tables included tax increases for individuals in certain tax brackets. DFAS complied with the new tax rates by implementing the new IRS tables with the first paycheck of the year. For military retirees and annuitants, that check was issued Jan. 4, 2010.As a result, some military retirees' and annuitants' Federal Income Tax Withholding increased despite the fact that they received no Cost of Living Adjustment this year. This is why some retirees' and annuitants' net pay decreased. (3/7/10)
* PAYDAY:Public Law-98-369, the Deficit Reduction Act of 1984, states that payday will always be on the first business day of the month.. For future reference, if the first of the month is a Saturday, Sunday or a holiday, payday will always occur the next business day.
* TAX CENTER OPEN:Trailer building T 4561 located at the corner of Twining and Douhet Drives just west of the Commissary and Dental Clinic. Appointments are taken for Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 8 AM to 10 AM and 1 PM to 3 PM. Walk-ins are Tuesday and Thursdays from 8 AM to 11 AM and 1PM to 4 PM. Questions call 318 456-4765. (
* NEW HEALTH LAW AND TRICARE/MEDICARE:At the present time information on how the new Health Law will affect Tricare or Medicare is limited and much of the information appearing on the Internet in blogs or e-mails is some times questionable. The best source of information would be your Legislators in Congress. They often do not have specifics on your category and that is when you need to look at information provided by military groups that lobby for you with the Legislators. There are many groups but two of them are the Air Force Sergeants Association and the Military Offficers Association of America. In order to clear up some of the misinformation the Military Officers Association has some comments from their President, Vice Admiral Ryan (click here). In addition they also have a question and answer column that provides additional information (click here).
If you are not a member of one these Organizations that lobbies for your benefits you may want to consider becoming a member as they need everyones support in order to continue working on your behalf. (MOAA 3/29/10)
*New Medallion Benefit as of Jun 29, 2010
The Department of Veteran Affairs now provides a medallion, by request, to be affixed to an existing privately purchased headstone or marker for those Veterans whose death occurred on or after Nov 1, 1990 and whose grave is in a private cemetery.
The bronze medallion is available in three sizes: 5 inches, 3 inches, and 1 1/2 inches. Click here for details and procedures for ordering the medallion. (71/10) *2010 1099R's are now available online at DFAS MyPay.
Or you can obtain by phone :
1. Call R&A Pay at 800-321-1080.
2. Select option 4 to request a 1099R 24 hours a day, seven days a week, without waiting to speak to a customer service representative.
3. Enter your Social Security Number using your touch-tone keypad when prompted.
4. You should receive your 1099R in 7 to 10 business days.( 2/14/11)
Retirees/Annuitants maybe affected by recent changes to the tax law, tax tables and other legislation.
Some of the changes include:
- Expiration of the Making Work Pay credit, which may increase the amount of wages subject to income tax withholding
The amount of the changes in net pay will depend on several factors to include the following:
- Income level
- W-4 elections
Military retirees and annuitants will see the changes reflected in their March 1 payment. Retirees can view the changes in myPay on February 1 and annuitants can view the changes in myPay on February 18. Account statements with the new net pay amounts reflected will be mailed to all retirees and annuitants affected by the change in February.